SPRINGFIELD – Missouri State University has officially halted all remaining intercollegiate athletic team practices, scrimmages and activities for the remainder of the 2019-20 academic year, Director of Athletics Kyle Moats verified Thursday (March 19).
Thursday’s announcement comes less than a week after the MVC President’s Council took formal action on March 13 to cancel all remaining spring competitions.
In an effort to remain in concert with campus policies, procedures and social distancing standards related to the global coronavirus (COVID-19) threat, the following updates are now in place:
• Discontinuation of all team practices, individual instruction, in-person team meetings and film sessions
• Discontinuation of team strength and conditioning workouts and weight room activities
• Cancellation of spring football workouts and spring game
• Cancellation of Bears All-Sports Showcase and Maroon and White Banquet
• All athletic fields, courts, competition facilities and workout facilities will be closed for the remainder of the semester
• Missouri State student-athletes will continue to have access to the following facilities with revised hours of operation:
- Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Academic Achievement Center
- Athletic Medical and Rehabilitation Services staff and athletic training facilities
“In communicating with other Missouri Valley Conference schools, all of them are either following the same protocol we are or headed that direction in the coming days,” said Moats. “Being responsive to the changing landscape of this issue is a priority for all of us.”
--- Missouri State Athletics ---