ST. JOSEPH - The Missouri Western men's basketball team (8-11, 4-4) continues to roll at home as they beat Fort Hays State (7-10, 1-8) 79-63 in the MWSU Fieldhouse Thursday night. The win snaps a three-game skid and move MWSU to 6-0 at home this season.
The Griffons never trailed, jumping out to a 12-0 lead on three Will Eames' 3-pointers and one by Tyus Millhollin. Missouri Western led by as many as 23 points midway through the second half. Twelve 3-pointers by the Griffons, who held the Tigers to 3 of 11 shooting from long range, aided in the lopsided victory. Missouri Western used a 10-1 run still early in the first half to lead 23-6 with 13 minutes to go before halftime.
- The five-straight home wins are the most for MWSU since winning nine in a row inside the MWSU Fieldhouse during the 2009-10 season.
- Missouri Western's women's and men's basketball teams improved to a combined 15-0 at home with the men's win which capped four-straight home doubleheader sweeps for the teams.
- MWSU owned the glass, pulling down 45 rebounds and giving up just 31 to Fort Hays State.
- 16 of the Griffons' rebounds came on the offensive glass, helping MWSU score 16 second chance points while FHSU scored six on just six offensive boards.
- The Griffons had 15 assists to just eight turnvoers.
- Four Griffs scored in double figures, led by 18 each for Eames and Tyrell Carroll. Carroll also had a team-high six assists.
- JaRon Thames led the team with nine rebounds and two blocks while scoring 12 points.
- Millhollin didn't take a shot inside the 3-point arc, making four and went 5 for 5 at the free throw line for 17 points.
The Griffons host Nebraska-Kearney (12-6, 6-3) on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. The Lopers lost at Northwest Missouri State Thursday 65-60.
--- MWSU Athletics ---