EMPORIA, Kan. - It was cold in Emporia, Saturday, and not much warmer for the Griffon Men's Basketball team (7-10, 3-3 MIAA) inside White Auditorium. Missouri Western shot 37% from the field in an 81-68 loss at Emporia State (9-5, 3-2).
The Hornets led all 40 minutes, stretching their lead to as many as 16 points more than once. Missouri Western did use a late little run to get within three points, 59-56, with 7:09 left before Emporia State answered to stretch the its lead back to 10 with five minutes remaining.
- MWSU used 43% shooting in the second half to get to 37% for the game. The Griffons shot 30% from the field in the first half.
- The Griffons went 7 for 28 from behind the 3-point arc (25%) with Emporia State making 11 of its 25 long range attempts for 44%.
- Emporia State controlled the glass, out-rebounding MWSU 42-32
- Alex John scored 13 points on 6 of 7 shooting and added four rebounds.
- Will Eames led the team with 19 points, six rebounds and two steals.
- Tyrell Carroll scored 13 points with a team-high six assists and five rebounds.
The Griffons wrap up two weeks away from St. Joseph with a trip to No. 2 Northwest Missouri State (15-1, 5-1) on Jan. 18. Northwest Missouri State survived for its 15th win of the season, 73-68 at Washburn on Saturday.
--- MWSU Athletics ---