ST. JOSEPH – Rogers State came into the MWSU Fieldhouse having not lost in MIAA play and on a five-game winning streak. It ended Saturday as the Missouri Western Men's Basketball team (6-8, 2-1) handed the Hillcats (11-2, 3-1) their first loss since Nov. 30, 79-67.
Missouri Western ended a tight first half with a 17-7 run to take a 41-31 lead to halftime, leading for more than 33 minutes in the game. The Griffons extended the lead to 15 with 11:27 left in the game and cruised to their fourth home win in as many games.
- Rogers State entered averaging 81.8 points per game and shooting 47% from the field. The Griffons held the Hillcats to 67 points on 33% shooting.
- Brewster Peacock entered averaging 12.9 points per game on 56% shooting and was limited to seven points on 1 of 10 shooting.
- Missouri Western shot 54% from the field and went 16 of 20 from the free throw line.
- Tyus Millhollin led MWSU with 21 points on 6 of 10 shooting, including making all eight of his free throw attempts.
- Millhollin increased his scoring average from 8.3 to 14.7 over the past eight games, averaging 19.5 during that stretch.
- Tyrell Carroll scored 17 points to go with his five rebounds, team-high three assists, two steals and career-high three blocks.
- Tyree Martin went 7 of 8 from the field to score 16 points with five rebounds.
- Jaron Thames scored 13 points and led the team with a career-high nine rebounds.
- Beau Baker pulled down eight rebounds to increase his team leading average to 7.1 per game.
Missouri Western hosts Northeastern State (9-4, 2-2, Monday night in the MWSU Fieldhouse. The RiverHawks lost 76-65 at Northwest Missouri on Saturday.
--- MWSU Athletics ---