ST. JOSEPH - A strong second half effort by the Missouri Western Women's Basketball team (5-1) pushed the Griffons to their fifth consecutive win, 74-67 over Florida Southern (4-4), Saturday in the Fairfield Inn Classic.
The Griffons outscored the Mocs 43-27 after halftime to overcome a solid first half by the visitors. Missouri Western scored 27 points in the third quarter on 10 of 16 shooting to flip what was a nine-point halftime lead for Florida Southern into a two-point Griffon lead heading into the final quarter. Missouri Western held the Mocs to 28% shooting in the final quarter to stretch the lead to as many as eight points.
- MWSU shot 52% in the second half and made 16 of 23 free throw attempts to flip the script on Florida Southern. The Griffons shot 51% in the game.
- Chris Wilson scored 16 of her 20 points in the second half. Wilson was 7 of 10 from the field.
- Corbyn Cunningham pulled down eight of her 14 rebounds in the second half and added 17 points in the game with three assists.
- Kylee Williams knocked down her first two 3-point attempts of the game and another early in the second half and didn't miss all afternoon. She made all four field goals, all three 3-pointers and all three free throws for 14 points.
- Mychaell Gray added 10 points with four rebounds.
- MWSU trailed much of the first half and early in the third quarter, leading for just 14 minutes total.
- Florida Southern went to the line just six times in the game, four in the second half.
The Griffons play their first true road game of 2019 and the first MIAA game Dec. 5 at Central Missouri (3-3).
--- MWSU Athletics ---