ST. JOSEPH - Tamia Cunigan scored all four of her points in the final 47 seconds and her final two points lifted the Missouri Western Women's Basketball team (4-1) to a 52-50 win over McKendree (4-1), Friday night in the Fairfield Inn Classic. It was Missouri Western's fourth straight win and the first loss of the year for McKendree.
Cunigan's game-winning layup rolled home with six-tenths of a second remaining after McKendree knocked down a 3-pointer with 10 seconds to go that tied the game at 50. The layup wasn't Cunigan's only important contribution late in the game. She also blocked a McKendree 3-point attempt with 47 seconds remaining and sunk a couple free throws to give MWSU a 50-47 lead. Cunigan's layup came off a Chris Wilson steal, one of 19 for the Griffons in the game.
- Corbyn Cunningham made a layup with 1:10 remaining that put MWSU up 48-47.
- Cunigan scored the rest of MWSU's points with a free throw with 47 seconds to go and another with 16 seconds to go then the game-winner under one second.
- The game was tied seven different times with eight lead changes. MWSU led for just over 18 minutes.
- The two teams combined for 77 missed shots, 48 turnovers and 45 personal fouls.
- MWSU overcame 3 of 14 (21.4%) shooting in the first quarter and 20% shooting in the third.
- In the first quarter, the teams were a combined 5 of 21 from the field and in the third they were 6 of 29 from the field.
- MWSU got 22 of its points off the bench with Kyra Hogan scoring a team-high 11 points on 5 of 9 shooting.
- The Griffons outscored McKendree 30-16 in the paint.
- Chris Wilson continued her impressive rebounding pace, leading the team with 13 and scoring seven points.
Missouri Western closes out the Fairfield Inn Classic at 3:30 p.m., Saturday, against Florida Southern. The Mocs fell to 4-3 on the season with a 52-37 loss to Northwest Missouri, Friday in St. Joseph.
--- MWSU Athletics ---